#52Stories Goal Lessons for Children and Grandchildren

What would you want your children or grandchildren to learn from your example about making and achieving goals?

#1 Keep it Simple
I think about this quote a lot: "When eating an elephant take it one bite at a time" (Creighton Abrams).  There is also a scriptural reference for this principle. Alma 37:6 reads in part, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." This is important because it keeps us from getting overwhelmed; increases the likelihood of achievement; and allows us to live life in fullness while still working on specific goals. I think having too many goals or the grandiosity of goals causes us to neglect other more important things in our lives.

#2 A Little Organization Goes a Long Way
I'm taking three classes this semester which is more than I've ever taken at a time in graduate school. I knew it would only be possible if I organized my homework assignments to make sure I was getting everything done. I got out a calendar and wrote out what I needed to do every day throughout the semester to achieve the goal and hopefully do well in the classes. Instead of feeling stressed, I simply look at the calendar each day and do the assignment for that day. It is allowing me to do something that wouldn't be possible otherwise without a great deal of stress.

#3 Be Flexible
Nothing ever works out quite the way we think it will. At times, when I perceived that I had failed at a goal, I would give up. But giving up is never necessary. We may need to readjust, reorganize, or ask for help. We may need to give ourselves more time, or come back to something after a break, but if we are flexible, we can overcome the opposition that we can always count on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Physical Achievements

#52Stories Failure