52Stories Hidden Achievements

What are some of your hidden achievements--things that were challenging for you, even though they may seem simple to someone else?

This is a good question. It's sort of funny because I decided to skip the question about academic achievement, which is something I feel I have a lot of, and that mentally came easily for me. Emotionally, though, it was a different story. I have severe social anxiety. This is only something I've discovered in the last few years. I think I began to understand it when I went back to graduate school because after having worked on my personal awareness for several years, I was now keenly attune to the panic I felt when in a room full of strangers, especially when there was high pressure, like a teacher who might ask a question, for example. :)  I knew going to school was difficult because I was "shy," but I really had no idea what was going on or how challenging it had been for me from elementary school through college, especially at times or in classes where I didn't have a friend nearby, or when the teacher would use me as a quiet buffer to sandwich between two kids who wouldn't stop talking to each other. The interesting thing, though, is that now that I'm aware of it, it is improving. Every class gets a little easier. Awareness is awesome! Knowledge is power!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday--A New Kind of Rejection

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure