Why I Will Not Be Sporting a Rainbow

I oppose same-sex marriage for a few reasons. And I write this post in the hopes that I will have some peace and quiet in my mind. It has never been easy for me to feel something so strongly without expressing it. I have resisted many times in the past because of fear: fear of being ridiculed, fear of being harmed, fear of being misunderstood, fear of who knows what else. I guess my need to express what I feel is stronger than my fear right now and I am going to leap at the chance.

This is what I believe in my soul; what I understand in my heart; and what I know in my mind.

Simply put, here are my reasons for opposing same-sex marriage:

  1. I love God and His law more than any person, any thing or any idea. Period.
  2. I believe the scriptures, including the Holy Bible (both the Old and New Testaments), the Book of Mormon, and the writings and speakings of latter-day prophets and apostles (including The Family: A Proclamation to the World) are the word of God to His children. Period.
  3. I believe homosexuality is bad for society.
The rainbow has never sat right with me. Have we forgotten what the rainbow is? Where it came from? If we have, it's easy to find. Genesis 9:11-18. It is a token between God and man that He will never wipe us out with a flood again. It shows His love for us. It shows His power. It shows that His promises are sure. It is a symbol of God. Keep this in mind for a moment as I switch gears.

Homosexuality is sexual sin. Have we forgotten this? If we have, we can read about it in Genesis 18:16-33 and Genesis chapter 19. In fact, reading between the lines, it is apparent to me that homosexuality is worse of a sexual sin than fornication, since Lot offers his daughters as a compromise to the demands of those waiting to gang rape Lot's male guests. It's also easy to guess that sexual sin was rampant in this society since soon after Lot and his family leave, there is an episode of incest. (Dare I predict this is something we will begin to see more common in our society, which seems to have thrown God's rules about sexuality to the wind?) In Alma chapter 39 verse 5, we learn that sexual sin is grave ". . . in the sight of the Lord; yea most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost." In case you need me to spell it out for you, that's talking about murder people. I know "denying the Holy Ghost" won't mean that much to a lot of people, because it's hard to understand if you don't have the same faith I do. But murder? We all know what that is. Sexual sin comes in just beneath. That is serious if you ask me.

Okay, back to the rainbow. Believing in the seriousness of sexual sin, and understanding what the rainbow is truly a symbol of, in my eyes, to be sporting a rainbow in our day and age would mean that I was openly rebelling against God and even mocking Him. That is just how I see it and that is why I will not do it. I know others don't see it like this and that's okay. This is simply my perspective. I love God and respect Him far too much to rebel against His laws or mock Him in any way.

Now, on to my second reason. I believe the scriptures are the word of God. I've touched on some already, but there are many more. The Family: A Proclamation to the World (I mentioned before this is scripture to me) warns against the disintegration of the family, confusing gender, abortion, abuse, sexual sin, etc., etc., etc. It says: ". . . we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." Now we know this isn't going to be by flood (see above), at least not to the point to wipe out the whole earth, and perhaps God will not turn us to salt as He did Lot's wife for merely looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah. But there are other things. Other prophecies. Take Isaiah, and John the Revelator, for example. This I am not going to spell out for you. You can find them here and here, respectively. Isaiah even says in chapter 3 verses 9-11: "The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves. Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings. Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him." What does this mean to me? Homosexuality is a sin. The "wicked" will try to convince the "righteous" otherwise. What does God say about it? Well, I think that it's pretty plain. It is to me, at least. I believe personally that Isaiah 24:5 is talking about same-sex marriage specifically, and possibly the loss of religious freedom concerning marriage. That is my interpretation, but I invite you to read it and see what you think. If one continues on in chapter 24 of Isaiah, or Revelations, or any other prophecies about "the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets," this is what we have to look forward to: earthquakes, fires, terror, fear, plagues, droughts, sickness, desolation, storms, etc., etc., etc. Naturally, I oppose this. It is a wonder to me that more people don't.

My third reason is the ramifications that this will have on our society, especially the rising generation and even more especially innocent children. We don't quite know what they will be yet, but they will come. Actions have consequences. That is the way of nature. No matter how you try to escape nature, it is impossible. She will have her way. Yes, that's all I'm going to say about that point. Except this: research is a good place to start if we want to understand the ramifications of legalizing gay marriage. 

In closing, I would like to share what I learned recently studying the New Testament. I think it fits because Christ is talking about His second coming, and He also references Noah and Lot's wife, two subjects I've touched on in this explanation of my beliefs. He tells of how His coming will be similar to the days of Noah when "Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all" (St. Luke 17:27) as well as when "Lot went out of Sodom [and] it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all." (St. Luke 17:29) What does He mean here? Well, I think it means something like this: when the righteous start to walk away from something, maybe it would be a good idea to follow them. We know what happens once they are gone. "Remember Lot's wife," He says in St Luke 17:32. Such a simple plea, yet powerful. To me, it's as if He's saying: 'Remember the one who looked back. Please don't look back. Please don't sit on the fence. Please come out of Gomorrah. Please get on the ark. I cannot save you otherwise. And I want to save you.'

To me, accepting homosexuality and gay marriage is simply a matter of a secular doctrine: "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die . . ." (See 2 Nephi 28:7) This is one of Satan's lies. Satan can say this because he doesn't have a mortal body to worry about. I do. And so I will worry about it. It's also easy to say if you don't believe what I believe, understand what I understand or know what I know. But I know better. I will act according to my understanding and knowledge and invite others to learn and understand for themselves what is at stake here. This is simply how I see it. No rainbows for me, except the ones in the sky.

The end.

P.S. If you cannot respect my point of view, please refrain from commenting. Sassy, negative, mean, and inappropriate comments will be burned with my laser glare and swiftly deleted into outer space where I will never think of them again. If you have a different point of view, please share it on your own outlet. This is my blog space and you are a guest here. Mind your manners please.

Comments

Sarah Rachelle said…
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this topic. In the current climate, it is a very brave thing to do. When Proposition 8 was the big news topic, I did my own study on this because I saw so many members of our church divided on it. What I came to understand is that ultimately, God knows how we can be happy, and like you've stated so well, He's spelled it out for us in scripture and through modern prophets.

As a result of the recent Supreme Court decision, I saw a relative post that her church has changed their canonized scripture to accept same-sex marriage. This to me is the scariest sign of all - to see churches who lead so many people change their basic doctrine to accept a current trend of thought. How grateful I am that God is unchangeable, and I, like you, love and respect what He thinks on the topic more than anyone else.

Thank you again.
Camie Madsen said…
Thank you for this honest post and for the reminder of the true symbolism of the rainbow. Thank you for standing up and speaking out in defense of traditional marriage and family. You are an inspiration to me!
Unknown said…
To this day, I think I was very fortunate that I was able to get a good this article Obat Trigger Finger Obat Infeksi Mata It is one of the information I was looking for a long time Obat Nyeri Telapak Kaki Obat Hematuria Maybe also I will inform this to my friend, because my friend was also looking for the same information about this Obat PCOS Obat Penyakit Asam Lambung Thank you very much yes because you have shared a very unusual good information and helpful Obat Sakit Pinggang Obat Diabetes Melitus I hope you continue to renew other recent information that is still associated with this information Obat Tipes Obat Kista Ovarium Maybe I'll come back to visit this article to find more recent articles that I may not know

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure

#52Stories Physical Achievements