Thoughts on Common Core

I remember sitting in 6th grade orientation for my oldest daughter and hearing about Common Core for the first time. I left that meeting feeling confused. Why were they making these changes? Why so suddenly? Why couldn't anyone give educated answers to these questions? I remember thinking, I guess this is just the way it is.



I've heard principals and educators defend the Common Core, and I must say not one of them can do it with real conviction.



And then I watched the Common Core documentary. Which answered a lot of questions and then created a host of others.



Here is what I think I understand from watching the video: Big business and high government tricked states into implementing Common Core by offering them money for education and giving them minimal deadlines to write grants.



Here is the biggest question still remaining. Why?



Now, before you label me as a conspiracy theorist, hear me out. I have what I believe is a talent born from experience. I know when I am being lied to, often well before the one lying is even aware of their self deception. I cannot tell you how many times I felt like I was being lied to in this video.



Furthermore, here is what I gathered. Arguments for Common Core are arbitrary, repetitive, and scripted. Arguments against Common Core are basic, sound, and specific.



I'll let you decide for yourself. As for me, I'm seriously considering the home school thing again.




Comments

Camie Madsen said…
Hi Melissa! I love your blog :)
I really appreciate this post! I have been trying to spread the word about all that is wrong with common core since last summer when I first heard about it in a round about way, and immediately formed a passionate dislike for it. As you know, we've been homeschooling for 5 years now, and we absolutely love the freedom homeschooling gives us. There is no way I could/would ever send my kids back into the system. We value our freedom too much.

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure

#52Stories Physical Achievements