Friday, February 21, 2014

Cookie Perfection

I've been considering sharing this for a while. Although it means I have to give up my dream of owning a little dessert shop called "The Brownie House," I am finally willing to do it. I don't know why God cursed me with the ability to make amazing cookies, but He did. So I make them. I perfect them. I eat them. And now I'm sharing a recipe with you.

In my opinion, these are the best chocolate chip cookies ever. Better than Mrs. Fields, better than Neiman Marcus, better than your mother's. I know because I've created chocolate chip cookie snobs. My kids will occasionally take a bite of someone else's cookies, or store bought. Then they turn up their noses and try to hide the remainder where nobody will notice. Sometimes they refuse after one glance. I can't blame them. I do the same thing.

So, here it is. Enjoy!

Melissa Lemon's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks butter, room temperature (Seriously, this is important. Let them sit on the counter overnight or for a few hours at least.)
1 cup white sugar (I'm liking organic these days)
1 cup brown sugar

Cream these together. Maybe preheat your oven here if you want. 350 will do it.

Beat in 2 large eggs (Sometimes if it is super hot and humid in the summer I use medium eggs.)

Beat in 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1 tsp. of salt, and 1 tsp. of soda.

Let your kids fight over the beaters. This is the fun part.

Stir in 2 3/4 cups flour and 1 bag chocolate chips (I prefer the 12 oz., but if you're a chocolate lover, don't let me hold you back. (I'm kidding. 12 oz. should do it, even for chocolate lovers.))

I hand stir in these last two ingredients. (When I say hand stir, I mean I use a wooden spoon with  my hand. I think sticking your hands in there is disgusting.) Some people have fancy mixers, and I'm sure that works too, but for me, stirring in the last two ingredients by hand actually improves the recipe. It's like talking to your plants. It just helps them turn out a little better. And it gives your arm a workout.

Scoop them onto a cookie sheet. Make them small, make them big, whatever.

Bake them for 8-13 minutes, depending on the pan, your oven, and probably the altitude. Here's the trick: they should be dry on top and still light in color. If the bottom edges start to brown I pull them out.

Let them sit on the pan for a minute or two. Transfer them to a cooling rack. Invite Cookie Monster over. Okay, never mind. He would eat them all.

I like to freeze some dough. That way I can still have dough to munch on, or I can have fresh, warm cookies the next day. But these are amazing even when they're not fresh and warm.

Trust me. I just ate one.

And sorry this picture is bad. It doesn't do them justice. Maybe some day you could come over and I could make a batch just for you. Then you could see them for real.



Some optional ingredients: 1-2 cups oats, 1 tsp. cinnamon. Or, throw in some butterscotch chips. Yum!
Nuts are really not an option.
Or anything else.
Unless you're weird like that.

Happy cookie making!