A Closeup of My Nose



This post isn't really about my nose, but there it is so I had to say it.

This post is actually about why I am only wearing one earring lately.

A long time ago I got my ears pierced. I was five. At first, I loved wearing earrings. So much so, that a few years later I got my ears pierced for the second time. Then I got even older and kind of stopped wearing them. Maybe it was because I began playing sports and had to take them out for that. Maybe it's because I decided it wasn't my style. Maybe my ears were sensitive. Whatever the reason, wearing earrings became something I just . . . didn't really do. Most of the time.

So my ears began to close up. Because that's what the body does. It was made to heal itself so if there's a hole there, and nothing to keep the hole open, it will seal up again. Crazy, right? (Wow, that is really profound in other ways, but I'll save that for another day.) Well, every once in a while I would still wear earrings in my first holes, but one was just a little stubborn and I always had to really push hard to get it all the way through. And it hurt. A lot.

On one of these days last year, my daughter tells me she thinks I should keep some studs in for a while so my holes stay open and I don't have to do that. I decided she was right, and that since I'm not putting on a catcher's helmet on anymore I may as well. But I didn't have any studs. So I just picked a random earring and stuck it in. Not sure what happened to that one, but I found another. On Sundays I make the effort to put an earring in both ears, but the rest of the week, I just do this.

It's funny because someone asked me about it the other day, concerned I had lost an earring. "Nope," I said. "It's sitting on my bathroom counter."

What can I say? I'm only keeping the one in because I have to in order for the hole to get set right. Did you know? Sleeping with two earrings in is worse than sleeping with only one? And when morning comes I simply forget, or just don't want the other one in.

And that's why I'm only wearing one earring lately.

The end.

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday--A New Kind of Rejection

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure