Monday, January 14, 2013

Meet Shannen Crane Camp


I had the awesome opportunity to interview Shannen Crane Camp. She's stylish and geeky at the same time, what's not to love?




Hello. Thanks for being a guest on my blog today. Can I offer you a virtual cookie?

Why thank you Melissa! I'm actually surrounded by a million nieces and nephews right now so they might get jealous of my virtual cookie... unless of course you brought enough for all 11 of them?


Wow, that is a lot of nieces and nephews. Let's just skip to the interview. Pretend for a moment that your books are your children. Please introduce us. We’d like names, ages, quirks, birth stories, any details you would like to share.

 Well my first is "Robin's Flight". She (because all of my book children are girls) is slightly clumsy and unpolished but I love her like you can only love a first pancake (not that I would ever throw out one of my children!). She was born when I was in junior high and reading WAY too much Harry Potter. So she thinks she's harry Potter. My second book baby is "The Breakup Artist". She's pretty fun and likes to think she's a little more like an 80s teen movie than she really is. She's a little angsty and self absorbed at times but she's endearing so you can't really hold it against her. She was born right before my brother's wedding when my billions of family members staying with us were talking obsessively about love and marriage and I wondered what would happen if someone had the opposite job of a matchmaker. My third book baby is my favorite (though I would NEVER say that to any of my other book babies... you are definitely not allowed to have a favorite child... which is why she isn't my favorite............... right?.......) and she is "Finding June". She's vintage, and quirky, and shares my love of silent films and 50's clothes. We have a lot in common and I maybe put a little too much of my heart and soul into her. Oops! Not to mention her best friend may or may not be Joseph Gordon Levitt without ever really saying it. I just love that boy :) She was born when I decided to put my film degree to good use and write about what I know. My next book baby is "Sugar Coated". She's my brave baby. A little too brave. Like stupid brave. I wanted her to be everything I'm not so I made her brave and curious and inquisitive and adventurous and just generally pretty awesome. She's my sci-fi/dystopian child and I'm way too excited for the world to meet her! She was born from reading too much dystopian YA. I just loved it too much! My last book baby (at least my last completed book baby) is "Pwned". She's my nerdy gamer girl and I love her. I got to take all of my useless online gaming knowledge and stick it in a book. Don't let her appearance fool you though. She may be a popular cheerleader but she's totally a closet gamer. She was born after I decided I wanted to join the ranks of Felicia Day and Lights and be one of the queens of the nerds. Wow.... I have a lot of kids... I should probably consider some form of book control.

Ha! Book control. I love it. And this is for you.





Now, let's see those mad writing skills at work. Say you get caught in an F.B.I. sting that goes badly. As the F.B.I. agent in charge attempts to deactivate a bomb, he asks you to describe your book as a way to keep you from hyperventilating. You've got thirty seconds. Ready. Set. Go!

"Well seeing as how you're a big burly FBI agent you probably like crime dramas on TV right? Well my lovely little June (From "Finding June") is just a normal (sort of) LDS girl who gets cast as the love interest of Lukas Leighton (who's kind of a looker if we're being completely honest here) on TV's hottest crime drama "Forensic Faculty". Her classy, vintage clothes wearing, silent film loving, conservative ways are put to the test pretty soon though when she runs into a few too many compromising situations in her quest to become a famous Hollywood actress. So how's that bomb coming along? Because I'm pretty sure the door is locked and that blue wire really should be cut by now. I thought you were the bomb expert here."


Please give us a peek into your writing life. How much time each week do you spend writing? Is your desk messy or clean? Do you have a schedule or are you sporadic? What helps you stay motivated? We want to know what makes you tick as a writer.

I try to write every day... but in fact I work a lot and my puppy Hemingway is kind of a pill and The Husband and I like to go to the movies way too often. So usually my "every day" writing turns into three or four times a week for a few hours... until my online games (or Portal 2) tempt me away from my characters. My desk is notoriously messy. I have to push away piles of action figures, half full/empty glasses of water (I'm kind of like the little girl on Signs, I'm so ready for the alien invasion!), and post it notes from my desk in order to clear a space for my keyboard. Not to mention, my friend made me little clay figures of all of my main characters from my books and they take up quite a bit of room on my desk... though they also motivate me so it works well. I don't really have a writing schedule but I do outline each chapter. I didn't used to but it just makes the whole process so much easier, especially when I can only write at weird intervals throughout the week. Trying to get back into the swing of writing when I only have an hour is much easier when I know exactly what needs to happen in each chapter. As far as motivation goes, I have folders on my computer for each book. They're filled with music playlists, pictures, and videos that remind me of each book. It's a pretty fast way to get into the spirit of whatever book I'm writing at the time.

Great ideas for motivation. I need a friend who works with clay. Please tell us some of your favorites.

Favorite treat: Lays Kettle Jalapeno chips :) They burn my mouth to pieces but it's so worth it!
Favorite stress reliever: Playing video games. Yeah... I'm that person. I love games WAY too much. I'm a nerd :)
Favorite office supply: Erasers :) Big pink ones! I never use them since I never write in pencil but I love them anyway.
Favorite punctuation mark: You might have guessed it already.... since I've used it a million times in this interview... Maybe too much... I like dots.... and I like pauses... and I like that to come across in my writing... my characters pause too much... so yeah.... guess what it is............
Favorite day of the week: I would say Saturday... you know, back when I didn't work on Saturdays. So I guess now it's Friday since it's the beginning of the weekend. Plus you just can't argue with Rebecca Black right?
Favorite movie: "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Yeah I know. Let the hate mail start.
Favorite color: Green 

Describe for us what your surroundings would be if you walked into your favorite piece of art. Feel free to be as literal or figurative as you would like.

My favorite piece of art is "Lecture at the Orrery" with all the dramatic lighting and rich colors. So I'm pretty sure if I walked into the painting it would be almost pitch black with a bright orange light in the middle that everyone was gathered around. The orange light would cast a glow over everyone's faces and it would pretty much be the most amazing and beautiful thing ever. It's a weird piece of art to love but I love it nonetheless. 



And finally, if you had telekinesis what would you do with it?

What wouldn't I do with it? I'd be like Matilda and The Phoenix all mixed into one! Except I wouldn't be as evil as The Phoenix... hopefully. I guess you just never know what that kind of power will do to you.

Thank you so much for letting me interview you, Shannen. If you would like to stalk Shannen and her awesome book babies, visit her on her blog



2 comments:

Mabellemichelle said...

This interview really captures Shannen's personality! Loved it!

emfawcett said...

Loved Finding June - the premise of the book was so original!! Can't wait for the sequel!