The Lost, Buried Secrets of Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem (Which I Will Proceed to Dig Up and Reveal) Part 2

Where did the name Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem come from? That is a LOADED question.

From the very beginning, I wanted the book to be called "White as the Driven Snow." That is what all 10 first drafts are saved under. I'm not a novice when it comes to book titles. I want my books to have original titles. So, I do research. On Amazon. After researching that name, I learned that it was fairly original, but it did bring up a few books with religious context. The search never brought up any fairy tales. I saw this as a bit of a problem. Snow Whyte doesn't have a lot of religion in it, and I worried that people searching for retellings or fairy tales in general would never find it. My publishing company didn't like it either. They asked for a few more suggestions and I obliged, giving them the following:

White as Snow
Snow White and Queen Radiance
Snow White and the Queen of Mayhem
and the ever original, Snow White

None of these ideas seemed to impress anyone either. My publishing company asked me if I had strong objections to the title Fairest of them All: A Snow White Story. And I did. I hope this doesn't disappoint anybody, but image doesn't play an important role in the book. I get so sick of hearing about image! It makes me want to scream sometimes. Anyway, sorry about that little tangent. Back to the drawing board and the one that took the prize was Snow White and the Queen of Mayhem. A while later, I was asked if I had objections to spelling White differently. I didn't. Now, I can't imagine having it spelled any other way, and I am in love with the title, even if it is a little long. I even read a review where somebody complained about the length of the title. I thought, 'Really? You aren't the one who has to type it over and over again. Do you hear me complaining?' Okay, maybe I complain a little. :)

You can enter my Countdown to Launch contest here. You can also enter by sharing this post on facebook or twitter. Just be sure to include my twitter name (Melissa_Lemon) or facebook profile (Melissa Lemon) so I can find it.

What is your favorite book title?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Physical Achievements

#52Stories Failure