The Lost, Buried Secrets of Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem (Which I Will Proceed to Dig Up and Reveal) Part 3

Do you ever wonder how a book evolves during the writing process? Well, Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem had quite the evolutionary process. Here are just a few things that changed from original drafts.

When I first began writing the story, it had only one dwarf. This dwarf came in the form of a baby that had been abandoned at the edges of the orchard where Kat grows up. There was something different about this baby. Not only did he have severe dwarfism, but osteogenesis imperfecta as well. In these drafts, Kat does not find seven dwarfs in the forest. Rather, she escapes her dangerous circumstances with the baby dwarf she has discovered and finds an old woman in the forest to live with who becomes her teacher and mentor. I didn't like Kat as much in these drafts. (And my writing group didn't either.) She was extremely ignorant from being raised in total isolation. Barney was not as kind during her childhood in these versions.

I do miss the old woman, however, and regret that her character did not get developed at all. But because I loved the idea of her so much, she was the inspiration for the story of how the seven dwarfs came to live together in the first place. In Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem, she is only mentioned briefly, and is referred to as "Mother Dwarf."

My favorite twist in the story was not planned originally, and it is one of my favorite things about the story. That is one of the things I love about writing. It is such a thrilling adventure to write a book and see where the story leads you, as if it has its own plans and agendas. The spell put on the princess, and the connection to the snow and the weather as a form of protection for her was also not originally in the plot and is also one of my favorite things about the story. And I can't imagine it without all seven dwarfs, whose characteristics and personalities I really grew to love throughout the process. I did still give one of the dwarfs Osteogenesis imperfecta. Mean, I know. And two of the dwarfs are conjoined twins.

So many changes took place while writing this book that sometimes it's hard to believe it all came from the same place. If you missed my post about the dream that gave me the idea in the first place, you can read it here.

You can enter my Countdown to Launch contest here. You can also enter by sharing this post on facebook or twitter. Just be sure to include my twitter name (Melissa_Lemon) or facebook profile (Melissa Lemon) so I can find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday--A New Kind of Rejection

#52Stories Failure

#52Stories Physical Achievements