The Lost, Buried Secrets of Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem (Which I Will Proceed to Dig Up and Reveal) Part 1

To celebrate the launch of Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem, I thought it would be fun to share some nitty gritty secrets about the book--how it came to be, what the process was like, how it got its name, etc.

I dedicated this book to dreams. Not the aspiration kind of dreams, but the ones that visit us during sleep. The reason for this is that many of my book ideas come from dreams that are so vivid I know I will never get them out of my head. They are so piercing I feel as though they are otherworldly. I heard recently that we don't dream about people that we don't know, and I am here to tell you: that is completely NOT the truth. Maybe to an unimaginative person that is true. And I've had dreams where people I know in real life are substituted into the places and faces of people I dream about, but with the dream that got me brainstorming a plot for Snow Whyte, I saw two distinct people I had never before seen or heard of.

With rain pouring down, a man walked across a rocky piece of land that was spotted with trees. He moved deliberately, with great purpose, searching for someone, when suddenly there she was. They nearly ran into each other. Something covered her head, shielding her from the rain as she looked into his eyes. They stood under the branch of a tree as he told her he loved her, something he had never said to her before. Something that came as a bit of a surprise to her. But he had to leave. She watched him turn and run, but as he did, she realized she loved him too. She ran after him, following him all the way to a train station where he boarded and rode away. The girl stared after him, watching the train shrink until it disappeared. Fog swirled all around her. The end.

At the time, I had just finished Cinder and Ella and had been thinking of other fairy tales I could twist. I woke from this dream, wrote it down, and began to brainstorm. It didn't take long before I realized it would work for a Snow White twist.

And that is where the idea for Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem came from. The only difference in the book (aside from a lot of added detail and back story) is that Jeremy leaves on foot. It had been a horse at one point, but I just couldn't bring myself to use a train in Medieval Fantasy. :)

You can enter my Countdown to Launch contest here. You can also enter by sharing this post on facebook or twitter. Just be sure to include my twitter name (Melissa_Lemon) or facebook profile (Melissa Lemon) so I can find it.

Here's to launching another fairy tale!

Have you ever had a book idea from a dream?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday--A New Kind of Rejection

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure