Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Power of a Goal

No, that's not me running, but I wish it was!  December and January in Salt Lake can be icky to run in and I am missing it horribly.  But, I am about to complete a goal that I set at the beginning of the year  to exercise at least three days a week.  All year.  And guess what?  I made it!  And I only cheated a couple of times.  (One week I counted playing at the park with my kids and another week I counted walking our foster dog.)  This week I counted skiing, but I don't think that was cheating because it was four solid hours of muscle work.  Exercise is something I love and something that I don't have to force myself to do.  But I've struggled with consistency in the past and that was the whole purpose of setting this goal.  Here are some things that I think helped me succeed.
  1.  I kept it simple.  How I wish I could exercise five or six days EVERY week.  But life is life and something always gets in the way.  Three days was perfect.  Possible.  Challenging at times, but possible.
  2.  I tried for a set routine, but kept it flexible.  That "set routine" changed several times throughout the year to accommodate different things like whether kids were in school or at home or vacations and the like.  A flexible routine kept me going.
  3.  I just kept at it.  By October there was no way I was going to give in because I had made it that far.  Just keep going!  Just do it!  Some days I wanted to more than others, but I had set a goal and wanted to reach it so I kept going.
  4.  I had a variety of exercises that I enjoy so I never got bored.  I love running, hiking, speed walking, Turbo Jam, strength training, snow shoeing, etc., etc., etc.  I NEVER got bored!
I'm about to head to my basement for a little Turbo Jam session and then I'm done!  I did it!  And it's a habit now to get those three days in.  It's always an important part of my week and something I focus on and think about when I'm scheduling my weeks.  Here's to a happy, healthy new year and to setting one or two achievable goals!  Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Jardine Family said...

Way to go Friend! What a great goal! Love it. Love you!! =)

-Jo- said...

Nicely done! I love it when I accomplish a goal. Way to go :)

Grandma R. said...

Congratulations!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

This winter has been so mild I have found myself running from time to time when normally it would be snowy and scary.
Happy New Year, Melissa!