Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Heart Grows Fond

I've always thought it would be a neat experience to be a foster parent.  My husband and I have talked about it several times over the years and the timing never felt quite right.  Last Saturday, my family and I took a trip to the local Petsmart to see the dogs.  Oh how my children have begged for a dog.  (We were even planning on getting a puppy for Christmas.)  They asked us if we were there to adopt.  "No," we said.  "We're just here to pet them."  Then the nice dog-handling ladies told us we could always foster one.  Well, isn't that a great idea?  Take a dog home and see how it works out?  What I've learned from this experience:

  1. I like dogs, but I don't want a dog to take care of
  2. I could probably fall in love with any dog, but I still don't want a dog to take care of
  3. My seven year old has extreme anxiety around a dog she thinks may bite her
  4. My children will not be getting a puppy for Christmas
Well, that's pretty much it.  Taking Rascal back will be difficult, which means the sooner the better.  I'll consider a dog when my kids are older and can take care of it themselves.  And I probably won't be fostering any children either because my heart doesn't need the damage of having to say goodbye to something I've grown fond of, especially over and over again.


3 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

LOL, I'm glad it was you and not me. My 8yo dd is petrified of dogs for the same reason. My boys are all begging for one. I don't have a dog because I have enough mouths to feed and pee to clean as it is.
But, yes, I could probably fall in love with any dog as well.

miki said...

i 'm not fond of the idea of a dog ( or any animal) as a christmas gift...that tend to make people forget there are responsabilities attached to it
it's not something you can exhange if you don't like it ...

I love my dog so much, and the one before him was there before my birth ^^ he lived 18years, very happy
but it's stressful when they fall sick and such so a pet it's not a toy

You could see if yours children are ready by going to the petsmart ( it's kind of spa in france and europe in guess for dogs abbandonned?) to help giving care ( walk them, wash them and such...for them to see the not fun part could make them realise when theyr are ready to have one as a friend

Melissa Lemon said...

Good ideas, Miki. I'm really glad we fostered before Christmas!