Wednesday, November 16, 2011

End of an Era


Nearly seven years ago I began teaching piano lessons because a friend of mine convinced me I could.  My husband and I bought a Kingsbury spinet for $700 from an ad on Craigslist and I obtained several students.  Cello students came as well and I eventually taught myself guitar so I could teach that, too.  I've had dozens of students in two states.  I enjoyed it.  I'm good at it.  Then I wrote a book.  For me, that was like seeing your favorite color again for the first time.  I fell in love.  And continued to teach music lessons.  I spent over a year trying to get that first book published.  Then in November 2009 I made my first attempt to win NaNoWriMo, working on a story I had been thinking about for several months.  I finished the story, but fell thousands of words short of that 50,000 word mark on my first draft.  I began the editing process and attempted once again to find an agent or publishing company.  And continued to teach music lessons.  In February of this year I received that fateful e-mail every aspiring author dreams of.  I cried.  And continued to teach music lessons.  Things got busy, a little too busy.  Earlier this month I had a final recital with my current students.  Did I cry?  Yes.  Will I miss my students?  Yes.  Do I love writing more than teaching music lessons?  Yes.  And I hope a career in writing works out because I've done that stupid thing every writer knows they're not supposed to do:  quit my paying job.

I am so grateful for all of the music students I've had and for how my ability to play these instruments has increased.  But also so grateful for the chance to try something new.

What new thing have you tried lately?  Or what new thing would you like to try?

4 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

How awesome that you are so talented.

I felt the same way when I started taking acting classes again recently. It was that 'there you are old friend' feeling.

But we can't spend our lives doing everything at the same time. Life has seasons.

E.R. King said...

You've taken the leap of faith and jumped completely into the writer's world. Good for you! I wish we had a great piano teacher where we lived. I'd love to take lessons again.
Congrats on your life changes!

Marny said...

Wow--big step! I hope it works out for you!

Annie Carie said...

So exciting!