Remembering


On September 11, 2001, I woke up to enjoy another day with my 3 mo. old baby. But early that morning, my husband called from work, telling me to turn on the TV. I spent some time glued to that television, experiencing emotions I had never felt before: hatred, unimagined fear, a profound patriotism.

I left my home to drive to downtown Salt Lake, needing the comfort of having my husband with me. The world had stopped. He came home with us and our thoughts turned to other family members. Luckily, several members of our family who had been scheduled for flights home that day had never boarded their planes and remained safely on the ground.

Activites that had been scheduled: cancelled. I remember fixing dinner for a few family members that night and we ate mostly in silence. I remember feeling things I couldn't express. I remember being unable to pull myself from the TV, needing to suffer along with those who really were. Faith deepened, compassion increased, loyalties solidified. I cried. It took years before hearing a plane overhead did not cause a tightness in my chest and an anxious look upward.

Would I give my life for my country? Yes.

Comments

StuckInBooks said…
Thank you for this post and for remembering.

StuckInBooks.com

Popular posts from this blog

Writer Wednesday--A New Kind of Rejection

Where Can I Get a Copy of Sleeping Beauty and the Beast

#52Stories Failure