Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Writer Wednesday

I would like to dedicate this day to writers: to encourage, to help, to spotlight, to make fun of (I'm just kidding, calm down). 

Since I went to a writing conference last weekend, I thought I'd share something that I got out of that conference.  Several times, as I was surrounded by many aspiring authors that have not yet had that blessed offer for publication, I noticed something.  There were comments like, "Look at all these people, trying to reach the same goal.  It's ________."  You fill in the blank--challenging, discouraging, scary, disheartening.

I have been amazed at the response when I tell people I have a book coming out.  Their eyes widen, congratulations flood out of their mouths.  Even people that are not in the industry seem to understand at least to some degree how difficut this business is.  But there is a pattern, a formula, and for most aspiring authors, they are somewhere along that difficult road of work, rejection, work, rejection and luck.  Yes, unfortunately, luck is a part of the formula.  Someone in the right place at the right time is going to have to fall in love with your book.

But don't give up.  That is the greatest piece of advice that I can give you.  If there are stories inside of you that need to be told, tell them.  If writing is the best way for you to express yourself, then write.  If it is a part of you that you cannot give up, don't.  I love the saying, 'Tis a lesson you should heed, try, try again. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.'

People may tell you along the way that you should quit.  But I won't.  People may tell you that you're crazy or foolish.  I will not.  They may think that you are a dreamer.  (As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that.)  Try again.  And again.  And again.

Even though I have a publishing contract, I am still an aspiring author.  I am still on that road, awaiting my next rejection or critic, and hoping for that luck that I still need.  There is comfort in reading my book.  Because if I can get lost in a book that came from my own imagination, a book that I've read ten times, a book that still makes me laugh and cry (sometimes on the same page), then I know someone else can too.

No comments: