Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Word Percentages

Have you ever known someone that uses a word that is less than 100%?  For example, I was being trained at a job when I was 18 by a woman who constantly said the word "BASICALLY."  Basically is a 75% word.  You basically box the chips and basically fold the flaps of the box in like this.  There is definitely room for personal interpretation there.

VIRTUALLY is a 0% word.  It isn't really there, it is virtually there.  But I think sometimes it is used as a word that falls somewhere in the 80s.  It's hard to tell.  Any thoughts?

ESSENTIALLY is a 95% word.  I am essentially awake.  Can you hear the lack of commitment there?

POSITIVE is a 100% word, although someone can think they're positive about something and still be wrong.  I know it has happened to me before.

ABOUT is a 50% word.  When people use the word, they are estimating, so I'm putting it right in the middle.  It could be very close to 100%, but it could also be way off.

PRETTY SURE goes two ways.  It can be a 25% word if there is a lot of uncertainty that comes along with it.  But it is often used with a tone of sarcasm.  In this case, I think it is a 99.9% word.

What words can you add to this list?  What is your favorite word percentage word?

5 comments:

-Jo- said...

REALLY. I'm really tired. Yeah, not a high percentage there. I'll venture 65.7%.

Melissa Lemon said...

VERY. I use that one all the time. And SO. They must fall in the 70s. Did you know that 63% of statistics are made up on the spot?

postcardsfromlalaland said...

MORE OR LESS...I'd say that's more or less 50% ;)

I've never thought of words in terms of percentages -- that's a very cool idea! Would it be ok if I pass this along to some of my former fellow English teachers? This lesson would be extremely helpful to get students to write more concisely and clearly.

Melissa Lemon said...

That's a good one. You are more than welcome to use it. MORE THAN WELCOME. That's got to be 110%

postcardsfromlalaland said...

LOL, yes, I agree :)